The Dos (and Don’ts) of Finding Your Foundation Shade
Look, we get it. Life is a big struggle. And you know what else is a struggle? Foundation.
Foundation, like a life partner or a good avocado, isn’t something anyone should just settle on, either.
What to do
So here’s what to do: get yourself to a brick and mortar [Ulta] store like it’s 1996. Now, find the shade that you think looks like your skin, and then take one shade lighter and one shade darker. Swipe all three on your lower cheek. And please, for the love of all that is holy, don’t just stand there trying to figure it out in the unreliable indoor lighting–walk to a window. Okay. Now you may look. Which shade disappears into your skin? That’s your Flesh.
What not to do
In the land of Flesh, rules are not really a thing. At least, that’s how we see it.
Foundation, however, is a slightly different beast. OK: completely different beast. Regardless, it’s just a beast. Pick the wrong shade, which is something probably all of us have done, and you run the risk of looking like, well, someone that simply isn’t you. We don’t believe makeup should be a departure from your natural essence, unless you’re into that.
So, here’s how not to choose a foundation:
1. With your eyes closed. We know it can be difficult sometimes to face your face sans foundation but you must.
2. After two tequilas. This is when everything starts to look good, because pretty much everything does look good from behind a soft-focus lens. You probably look great, but your trial-run foundation in the wrong shade probably does not.
3. After you’ve spent 12 days straight on a beach somewhere. We don’t advise you do this (at least not without sufficient sunscreen and an umbrella the size of Madison Square Garden), but if you do, your new foundation is probably not going to match when the vacation glow fades.
4. On your inner arm. Yes, we know this is what everyone is doing these days but fun fact: your arm and your face are usually not the same color. Confine it to your ‘gram, if you must.
5. In a dark room (unless you have plans to stay there).